If you find no audio output device is installed Windows 10, then you must fix it or else your Windows 10 PC, mostly HP and Dell, will not be able to produce a sound. The audio device on your PC will produce a sound whenever you play music or a video file. With the built-in audio device, you can play every video and music from online streaming as well. If the audio device on your Windows HP or Dell PC does not work, then you also cannot stream your favorite movies and TV series properly.
You can easily check whether your audio device operates or not easily. Just simply point your cursor towards the audio icon on the bottom notification area. If the speaker icon shows a red X, then your audio device does not operate as it should. Despite the ominous X red signaling, the device does not work, you can still try to click on it and reset the volume. In case the easy fix-up does not work, you can try any other ways to fix this issue.
Many factors can contribute to this audio device error. One of the many factors which often cause this error is the corrupted audio drivers. Aside from that, the corruption of Windows files may also cause the audio service to not run properly. While these two may contribute the most to the error, another external factor can cause this issue. You may want to check if the malware infection may disable your audio device unknowingly. In order to do that, you can use Windows Defender to scan your Windows HP or Dell PC system entirely.
Table of Contents
How To Fix “No Audio Output Device Is Installed” on Windows 10
If your Windows PC cannot produce a sound, then this may come down to the disabled audio output device on your Windows. Whether it happens deliberately or not, this error can present some inconvenience along the way. When your computer cannot produce audio output, then you cannot listen or watch anything from the device. Imagine streaming Westworld or Shameless from your Windows PC and there is no audio output to come with the video. It will create a terrible choice of weekend entertainment.
Whenever an audio output device fails to work on your Windows 10 HP or Dell PC, Windows will offer a troubleshooting option to fix it. Just like any troubles with Windows services, the troubleshooter will present an automatic fix to the error. The troubleshooter works by detecting the errors in the service first. After the problems are found, the troubleshooter will fix the errors. Most of the times, however, the troubleshooter fails to detect any errors on the device. It results in the inability to fix the problems in itself at the end. While this automatic Windows fix holds a bad record in fixing the issues, you can still try to fix the problem with it.
If the Windows self-fix and automatic volume reset do not work, you can try other methods to get the audio output device works again. Some of these methods we have curated below may help you fix the troubles on your “audio output device is not installed” issue. In order to do so, you can simply follow the steps of each method presented below. Keep in mind that each method may work differently on different computers. If a method does not work on your Windows 10 PC, then you can try another method.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at each of the methods to fix the “no audio output device is installed” on Windows 10 below.
Updating Audio Driver
When it comes to audio output device not working issue, you must always check the audio driver before anything. Just like any other Windows drivers, you need to check the updates for the audio driver as well. Some errors may happen when you do not install necessary updates on the audio driver. In doing so, your audio output device not installed on Windows 10 HP or Dell PC issue will be solved.
Follow these steps below to update the audio device on your Windows 10 HP or Dell PC and fix the audio output error in an instance.
- First thing you must do is accessing the Run box. To do so, press Windows and R buttons at the same time. Hold them until a Run box appears.
- Once the Run box appears, you can type Devmgmt.msc on the search bar.
- Click OK or press Enter to continue.
- A Device Manager window will open shortly after.
- Head to the area of sound, video and game controllers. Look for the choice Audio Device and right-click on it.
- Among many other choices on the screen, select Enable.
- If the Enable setting has already been chosen, you can proceed to right-click on the Audio Device.
- Update the driver by selecting Update Driver Software option.
- Choose “Search automatically for updated driver software” to proceed with the update.
- Wait for a while to let the update finishes.
- In case the list of audio drivers does not appear, you can go back to the Audio Device again. Select the choice Update Driver Software again.
- Choose a different method now by clicking on the “Browse my computer for driver software“.
- Afterward, pick the option “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer“.
- Choose one which has the most compatibility with your Windows HP or Dell PC and proceeds to click Next to continue.
- Once the process finishes, you can restart your Windows 10 PC.
In case you cannot find the suitable driver for your audio driver, you can look at the official audio driver website for Windows. Find the best audio driver which suits your Windows 10 system and download it.
Installing New Driver
In case the audio driver experiences some damages, you can look for a new driver to install. In doing so, you will strengthen the audio output device more than ever. Other than the new installation of such a driver, you will not have to delete the old driver. This method will only layer the broken audio driver with the new one.
- Access the Run box by pressing Windows and R buttons at the same time.
- Once the Run box appears, you can type devmgmt.msc on the search bar.
- Proceed to click OK or press Enter to continue.
- A new window with the title Device Manager will appear soon after.
- Navigate your way around it and choose “Sound, video and game controllers”.
- Proceed to select Action and continue by clicking on “Add legacy hardware”.
- Soon after, a new window entitled “Welcome to Add Hardware Wizard” will appear. Proceed to continue by clicking Next.
- On the same window select “Search for and install the hardware automatically (Recommended)”.
- If the wizard cannot find the new driver, proceed to click Next.
- A new window will appear with a list of hardware types.
- Navigate your way around it and select “Sound, video and game controllers” option.
- Highlight the option and click Next to continue.
- Proceed to choose the option “Select the Manufacturer and the model of the sound card” and click Next.
- The installation will begin shortly. Proceed to click Finish when the installation finishes.
- At last, reboot your Windows 10 PC to save the changes.
Uninstalling Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
In case you cannot repair the audio output device issue up to this point, you must uninstall the current Realtek High Definition Audio Driver at once. Your Windows 10 HP or Dell PC will reinstall it again after the restart. Follow the steps below to perform this method.
- Access Control Panel immediately from the Windows program or search for it from the start menu.
- Look for the option “Uninstall a Program”.
- Search for Realtek High Definition Audio Driver among many other programs.
- Continue the process by right-clicking on it and choose Uninstall.
- Restart your Windows 10 PC to proceed the changes.
- When the PC turns back on, proceed to go to Device Manager.
- Select the option Action and look for the option “Scan for hardware changes“.
- Your system will automatically install the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver again.
Performing System Restore
In case none of the methods above work, you must perform a system restore to fix the audio output device not installed on Windows 10 HP or Dell error. Keep in mind that this will be the last resort when all methods fail. Make sure you save the entire important files before you perform the system restore.
If a Windows audio output device is not installed on your HP or Dell PC, the Windows system on HP and Dell will offer a troubleshooting option to fix it. Just like any troubles with Windows 10 services, the troubleshooter will present an automatic fix to the error. The troubleshooter works by detecting the errors in the service first. Other than that, you should check for potential malware on the Windows system. With such a threat to the system, your audio device on Windows 10 HP or Dell PC can potentially face some errors.
In addition to the factors presented above, you must always check the audio driver before anything. Just like any other Windows drivers, you need to check the updates for the audio driver as well. Some errors may happen when you do not install necessary updates on the audio driver. Other than the audio driver, you can also install a new audio driver to strengthen the audio output device of your Windows 10 HP or Dell PC. Hopefully, all of these methods will do you good and turn the audio output device function back on your HP or Dell PC.